From Chef Lemaire’s Kitchen; Caribbean Spring Salad
With grilled chicken, heirloom tomatoes, purple beets, candied cashews and passion fruit vinaigrette.
2 whole skinless and boneless chicken breast (2 pounds), cut into chunks and divided evenly
1/4 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
2 heads of shallots, peeled and chopped
1 scotch bonnet pepper seeded and chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped garlic
Fresh parsley, chopped
1 bag of cleaned and picked watercress or spinach
1/2 cup red and yellow tomatoes cut in half
4oz toasted walnuts
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup red beets, roasted and cut into cubes
1/4 cup concentrated passion fruit juice
1/4 cup EVOO
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Skewer chicken chunks. About 2 per person (8oz of protein). In a mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup EVOO, scotch bonnet pepper, shallots, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and garlic. Pour mixture over chicken and let marinate for about 1/2 hour in refrigerated area.
2. In a sauté pan, melt butter then add cashews and sugar. Stir until all cashews are well coated and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Spread over a parched pan to let cool off.
3. In a blender, add passion fruit concentrate with garlic, salt and pepper and brown sugar. Pour slowly EVOO until well emulsified. Adjust seasoning.
4. Grill chicken until cooked through.
5. Toss watercress with tomatoes, beets, cashews and dressing. Top with chicken then serve.