How To Make Pumpkin Soup
The new year is nearing and if you are of Haitian descent, have some interest in Haitian culture or just like their cuisine, this is a dish you want to get right. Although, depending on what department of Haiti you’re from, your ‘Soup Joumou’ (pumpkin soup) can be made differently. However, thanks to chef Dimitri Lilavois of Hotel Le Plaza located in Champs-de-Mars, Port-au-Prince, we have a great recipe for you.
Please try this and share your experience with us.
Meat, Carrots, Onions, Celery, Salt/Pepper, Thyme, Bayleaf, Parsley, Cloves, Olive, Pumpkin,Veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabage) or whatever you like
*Note: cook your veggies half-way, each one separately, in a boiling pot of water with salt. do not discard the water. you will use it as the base for your soup.
- Cut the pumpkin, place on a sheet pan, add olive oil, salt/pepper and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season your meat to your taste.
- Sautee the meat in a soup pot until nice and brown, then take it out.
- Add carrots to the pot, sauté for a few minutes, then add onions, thyme, cloves and celery. stir until tender.
- Add the pumpkin, stir for a few minutes.
- Add some of the water you boiled the veggies in. (you will add the veggies towards the end of the cooking process, so they don’t turn out too mushy)
- Throw in the bayleaf.
- After boiling for 10-15 mins, take out the bayleaf.
- Then put the soup in a blender and mix until smooth. strain if it’s too grainy.
- Put the mixture back in the soup pot, throw in the meat, veggies (macaroni if you want) and cook under medium heat for 35 mins or until everything is cooked through.
Chef Dimitri Lilavois ; Exclusive Chef at La Terrasse and Kanel Restaurant
Follow his twitter @chefdimi for more goodies.